Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$name_download in /var/www/vhosts/regensburger-touristen-guide.de/httpdocs/controller.php on line 40

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$name_download in /var/www/vhosts/regensburger-touristen-guide.de/httpdocs/controller.php on line 43

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$name_download in /var/www/vhosts/regensburger-touristen-guide.de/httpdocs/controller.php on line 44

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /var/www/vhosts/regensburger-touristen-guide.de/httpdocs/includes/c_location.php on line 69

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /var/www/vhosts/regensburger-touristen-guide.de/httpdocs/includes/c_location.php on line 74

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /var/www/vhosts/regensburger-touristen-guide.de/httpdocs/includes/c_location.php on line 289

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /var/www/vhosts/regensburger-touristen-guide.de/httpdocs/includes/c_location.php on line 297
Regensburger Touristen Guide « : Alter Kornmarkt
Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$kat_beschr_download in /var/www/vhosts/regensburger-touristen-guide.de/httpdocs/includes/rechte_spalte.php on line 23
bitte wählen Sie die Sprache
Current position: » Alter Kornmarkt
Regensburg: Old Corn market

Regensburg: Old Corn market
The Romans had used this area to house their officers, prefects, crew quarters, and baths. In 400 AD, the Germanic tribe called the Bavarii, left the Castra Regina, and declared Regensburg the capital of Bavaria with the Corn market as their residence. The residence was expanded in 850 for the Carolingian palace in addition to the Palatinate Chapel (later called the Old Chapel), which were added at this time. The emperor, bishops, and representatives also held their meetings for the Reich (empire) here. The ‘Herzogshof’ (Duke’s Court) is now a hotel worth seeing! It is still maintained by the Wittelsbachern, who resided in the building until 1245. The Herzoghof is connected with an arched buttress to the Römerturm or Roman tower, formerly known as the Heidenturm or Pagan-Tower. The tower is 28 meters high with 4-meter thick walls. It served as a place of refuge from attacks, as well as an archive and treasure chamber. For a long period of time the Corn Market was used not only for impressive military parades and tournaments, but also bloodthirsty justice of the middle ages. Up until 1830, it served as the grain market for Regensburg, which was later moved to Haidplatz. Neighboring the Corn Market is the Niedermünsterstift (Niedermünstergasse), a convent housing the resting place of Saint Erhard (700AD). The convent was rather liberal as it allowed women to withdraw from sisterhood and even wed after retirement. The convent had connections to the house of the Bavarian Duke and enjoyed many imperial freedoms, which remained in place until secularization. The Niedermünster Church is actually the 4th church to stand here today. All four churches have had the exact same measurements, beginning at the head of Saint Erhard’s tomb. Also located on the square is the Karmelitenkloster St. Josef (Carmelite Cloister), whose foundation was laid in 1641 by Emperor Ferdinand III and completed in 1672. The ‘Echter Regensburger Karmelitengeist” (medicinal water) was created by Father Ulrich Eberskirch in 1721 and is very well known. Noteworthy here is the western façade in baroque style.

  • View on the map
  • Address & opening times
Regensburg Tourist Guide

Free Download - get it now!



You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to read and print these documents. Click here to download this free program.